Monday, September 14, 2009

Harvest 2009

Saturday was harvest day at Huevos Caballos. This year, I bought grapes from Golden Oaks Vineyards in Paso Robles. I'm making a Syrah and a Syrah Port, which are currently fermenting. I'll try to keep updating the progress as I go. Meanwhile, look at these photos.


The syrah portion of the vineyard.


These stupid grapes don't even know they're about to be picked. What a bunch of idiots.

I paid a local orphan boy two bits and a stale loaf of bread to give me a hand. I forget his name.


50 pounds of grapes, one bucket.

Horsetrait. You can't spell Huevos Caballos with "Caballo."

Rusty, the vineyard dog.

Back in Los Angeles, the grapes await their smashing.


Before and after. Lauren wisely requested that I do the crushing outside. She is smarter than me. Next year, I'm going to get some kind of machine or something.


The finished grape must, waiting to be inoculated with yeast.



2 comments:

Lauren Fonville said...

"[Lauren] is smarter than me." Yes! I have it in writing!

M. Huebner said...

Is this the former Fonsworth from Austin? I just found your blog through a random blog-chain. Brilliant! Having also started to homebrew (and garden thusly) I am very excited about yer blog. Well done, sir! You may not remember me- friends of K. West. Here is my not-so-funny blog:
http://todaystsawyer.blogspot.com/
Wish it wasn't so illegal to send beers through the mail...