Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Bullocks 2008 - A Year in Review

Well, old man 2008 has but a fortnight left in his belly before he falls, breaks his hip, and expires. We, on the other hand, only have one more year until those stupid "Happy New Year 200x" where the zeroes are the eye holes go away, unless some asshole decides to cram the "1" in 2010 between your eyes. I'm trying to stay optimistic that it won't come to that.

We're only a couple of days away from the Bullocks's Brewing Co. Company Christmas Party as well. All six BBC styles will be available for tasting. I sampled a little of each this weekend, and here's a brief rundown.

Tobias Funke's Cream Ale
By far the lightest of the 2008 batch. It is, as the name implies, creamy. It's a little hoppier than Bud or Miller and their ilk, but overall a very enjoyable beer.

Frank Shirley's Christmas Ale
Shirley's is a little darker than Funke's, and has just a hint of cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace, mostly because I put cinnamon, nutmeg, and mace in the beer.

"Hey. If any of you are looking for any last-minute gift ideas for me, I have one. I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head, and I want to look him straight in the eye and I want to tell him what a cheap, lying, no-good, rotten, fore-fleshing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, blood-sucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-ass, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey shit he is. Hallelujah. Holy shit. Where's the Tylenol?"


Hopped Up on Goofballs I.P.A.
The very first beer I made from my own recipe, which consisted of me grabbing a bunch of grains and malts and hops and hoping for the best. In retrospect, it's a little hoppy for my taste, but I did use three different kinds and dry hopped for the first time. I'm not sure it's technically an I.P.A., but whatever.

Trappist John, M.D.
This is the crown jewel as far as I'm concerned. It received rave notices at the Thanksgiven party I went to a couple weeks ago, and I have to say it's my favorite. Brian Palatucci, a prominent beer drinker, said "I might describe TJ, MD as 'exceptionally smooth.'"

T'ej Dancin'
Named by esteemed punnist Jeremy Lott, T'ej Dancin is a take on the Ethiopian Honey Wine t'ej, made with orange blossom honey, light malt extract, and some sticks that cost $10. This was the most suspect, as it was almost undrinkable after secondary fermentation, but after chilling and carbonation, it actually tastes pretty good. It will be interesting to compare it to the Huevos Caballos Wait til they Get a Load of Mead.

Mississippi Barry Phlegm's Vanilla Porter
This beer is as interesting as the author who inspired it. This is from a fairly robust porter recipe I got from the Home Beer Wine & Cheese shop up in Woodland Hills. The "experts" said to add two vanilla beans to the secondary, but I've never been one to read instructions or listen to people. I used six. And I still have over 120 left. That's right, everyone. I'm a vanilla magnate.

See you Saturday.

2 comments:

Gritty in Pink said...

I always thought your tribute to Hodgman would be a Portent Porter.

Unknown said...

my full quote was "i might describe TJ,MD as 'exceptionally smooth', if i was comparing it to eating sandpaper coated in crushed toffee and broken glass."